Detroit US 1/2 Marathon Comments

Clarkston
All-
I think I can keep this short.   Sunday was my 1st Detroit half.  My 4th  half in total.  The Thursday night folks know I'm fairly new to this.  A year ago (Sept 2016) I was at 2 miles max and exhausted.  But I kept at it.  Yes, Sunday was a weather challenge.  For me it was only the wind I was concerned about.  Brooksie was warm and I survived that.  The week prior I ran my 1st full in Dayton, Ohio.  It reached 80 and I made it.  I got downtown around 9:00am and saw the wind was so strong it  moved some of the road block signs. I said to myself, great.  I walked down to Jefferson.  Wind coming right up the river.  Ok, my strategy was set.  Run fast to the east out of downtown in order to get a decent time in and then face the wind on the way back and hope for the best.  It worked.  Made great time all the way thru Indian Village until reaching Jefferson and heading back west before crossing onto Belle Isle. Bridge crossing and Island was fine until the backstretch along the river.  I took my one and only 45 seconds walking break.  The legs needed it. I survived the island, the bridge back over and the head winds running back into downtown.  I just kept plugging along.  The last 2 blocks to the finish was one big wind gust.  I felt like I was barely walking, let alone trying to run.  9:00 pace exactly.  All I will say is I finished 7th out of 51 in my age group.  My overall was pretty darn good as well. Ok, well sort of near the top. Maybe I was "Born to Run".  Wait, someone else already has used that title.
Mike
p.s Had a friend of mine bow out of the full at mile 8.  The weather and her pace was just not worth it for her to continue.

Re: Detroit US 1/2 Marathon Comments

Way to tough it out Mike! You did amazing. Taking on that challenge really does make you born to run (and totally awesome too)

Re: Detroit US 1/2 Marathon Comments

clark.barrett
Those are awesome results for that day. (You can see I wasn't nearly as successful in my attempt at the full!).

Clark