Logging your miles and workouts

Do you keep a log of your miles? workouts? weight? fitness?

Keeping track of what you do, when you do it, conditions (such as weather, race v training) diet,  can help you if you are looking to do just about any event from 5k, triathlon, half or full marathon. Whether your goal is to cross the line or set a new personal record following your fitness level can help you prepare for just about any event.

If you are thinking about doing a log I can suggest the following:
http://runhappy.brooksrunning.com/signup/

This is a free site run by Brooks. There are tons of athletes (runners, triathletes) of all levels. It is a great way to log in your workouts and get a great visual of what you have done.

Last year I made a post asking if anyone knew how many miles they had gone during the year. This post was greeted with lots of, I don't know and I don't care replies. If you don't care, then just disregard this post, however if your interested sign on, log your miles and let me know (by home email) when you reach 1,000 miles of any sort (running, walking, biking, swimming).

Again this is not a have it do so if your not interested just ignore.

Happy, healthy training to you all!
Sue

Re: Logging your miles and workouts

jogo
Thank you Sue!

I totally care this year.  I have successfully logged for the past 2 days.  I am on a roll.

I use www.beginnertriathlete.com.  It is also a free site with a large cohort of Michigan triathletes and runners.  I plan on breaking that 1000 mile mark on running and biking!
Half Fanatic #703
Marathon Maniac #4451

Re: Logging your miles and workouts

Tnova
I have been keeping a log of my runs since the early 90's with a simple spreadsheet.  I just create a new tab each year.  I originally wanted to see my progress, as I could look at my pace for each run and see if I was (hopefully) getting a little faster over time.  I also mark in the log when I start with a new pair of shoes so I know how many miles are on them.

When marathons came along that made the logs more important to make sure I wasn't missing a lot of training runs.  Also I have tabs that contain a record of each race I've done and another with my PRs at every distance.

Besides logging miles in a spreadsheet, I also use FitLinxx which is tied into the YMCA for logging all activities - running, softball, weight lifting, etc.  Can easily look at various reports to see what I've been doing.

The last few years I've been breaking 1000 miles each year due to the marathons, including last year even though I was on the disabled list for a month.  This year I'll happily fall short of 1000.  :)

Re: Logging your miles and workouts

Cathy S.
In the past I have kept a log just of my running, but this year I'm expanding it to keep track of all my workouts. I just use a spreadsheet, and track time, mileage, what the workout was, average heart rate and I think that's it. Oh, and weight gets logged in there, too. Plus any comments that seem to be pertinent, like if terrible weather affected the workout or poor food choices made me feel sick or whatever.

I agree with you, Sue, that keeping a log is a really helpful tool.
Half Fanatic #312 and YPOM #74 :)

Re: Logging your miles and workouts

Jenniferlyn
So very true!  Like Jo, I use beginnertriathlete.com as my official record (that is where I met her actually!).

When I am training for a long course race (70.3 miles) I use trainingpeaks.com in addition because that is where all of my purchased training plans are.  www.buckeyeoutdoors.com is another popular free tracker that allows you to track every type of workout and of course www.dailymile.com is a really easy to use interface.

I think that tracking in some form is great knowledge to see how far you have literally come as a runner.

Don't give the power to the race.  Give the power to you and your ability to run the race.

Half Fanatic #452, IRONMAN as of 11/3/12!

Re: Logging your miles and workouts

Tom P.
I use an Excel workbook with multiple tabs or worksheets.  The first worksheet is the main log and includes fields for running distance, pace, date, shoes, strength workouts, weight, temperature, calories consumed that day, etc.  Some of the other worksheets are used for generating graph summaries of the data so I can look for trends.  Other worksheets track the details of speed workouts and races run.  And still others are designed as forecasting tools for pace charts, weight loss progression, and a race pace converter/calculator.  A new workbook for every year.  I formatted it so I can print it all out at the end of the year and keep a hard copy for posterity.

Re: Logging your miles and workouts

I posted this a long long time ago and wanted to bring this to the attention of our newest club members.
Logging your activities isn't just for those doing great distances. Here is my two cents: when you log your workouts (and I mean all your work outs, lifting, biking, swimming, walking) you can get a great snap shot of your progress whether your goal is to lose weight, add fitness levels, add miles or get faster. Over this past winter I have kept a good record of workouts and nutrition and boy was it an eye opener. Carb loading and hydration played such an important roll in the quality of my workouts. No matter how much I read it took writing it out and being able to look it over (cause what else do you do after your goal race is done) to see how far I've come, what I can improve and of course to plan for the next set of training.

So look at what others have posted about tracking workouts and give it a shot. This is not a contest, you don't report to anyone, it's strictly one more tool to help to a healthier you!