Martian 10K

BruceM
This post was updated on .
So I ran this event for the first time.  I got there by 7am (race start was 8am) and parked just south of Michigan Ave.  Many people were trying to park north of Michigan ave. and the streets were congested.  Parking was no charge before 9am so that was a cost saving for me.  There was one person ahead of me at the registration line at that time and that line grew very long so it was best to get there early to avoid the wait.  Saw Cary, Brian, and Joe from YPOM.  Joe thank you for volunteering at a drinks station.

There were so many more runners than I expected.  Not only were there a tremendous number for the 10K but also for the Half marathon that started later in the morning.  While the start was very crowded there was plenty of room to get up to pace in the first 1/8 of a mile as the street widened.
The course was reasonably flat with just a couple of mild hills.  I liked how the course wound through streets and trails in the park and finished on a down hill.  Of course the cookies, bagels, water and chocolate milk were pretty dam excellent after the finish too.
Although I had not run a 10K in recent memory and had no previous time to beat I decided I should be able to do better than a pace of 7min. 30 sec. miles.  First mile was a little slow but I was able to get faster as each mile past until the final mile was just over 7.00 minutes.  I love how when you aim to do a marathon and run those long distances that these shorter races feel so easy and your legs just keep on going.  Best thing was my knees did not hurt and still do not today.  Seems like the faster I run the less knee pain I get.

According to my Garmin I finished around 46 minutes but when I looked at the results late Saturday I had a time of 0.00.00.  It showed that I started but my chip did not register at the finish.  There were 4 or 5 others with no time also.  The only reason I care about this time is I need to boast about it to my older brother.  You know how sibling rivalry is!
Anyone know if at these Running Fit events they have a back-up timing system which can be used to confirm finish times?

And this event had awesome swag!  The finish medal is very cool along with the shirt which my wife has claimed.

Re: Martian 10K

BruceM
Timing issue was resolved with a simple email