Tired of gu's and gels? Recipes for homemade energy bars, gels, and drinks

Tired of gu's and gels? Recipes for homemade energy bars, gels, and drinks

Jenniferlyn
I am a vegetarian who often eats raw or vegan, so I was immensely happy when I found a book by vegan professional Ironman Brendan Brazier who is a huge proponent of the raw and vegan lifestyle for performance.

Here are some raw or raw-optioned recipes for sport-specific nutrtion.  Most ingredients should be easily found - out of season fruits such as papya can be frozen.  Dulse can be found at any Whole Foods store.  Agave nectar is readily available at Trader joes and even Meijers nowadays.

Basic "In a Pinch" Electrolyte Sports Drink
3 parts favorite unsweetened fruit juice (not pasteurized for raw option)
1 part water
sea salt to taste

Mint Carob Sport Drink
Makes 3 cups.

3 dates
2 strips (or 1T) dulse
2 C water
1 T agave nectar
2 tsp roasted carob powder (or coco powder if you are not vegan)
1 tsp dried mint (ot 1 T fresh)
1 tsp coconut oil
sea salt to taste

You can substitute the young coconut water for 1 cup of the water to increase electrolyte and simple carbs

Lemon-Lime Sport Drink
Makes 3 cups

Juice of 1/2 lemon
Juice of 1/2 lime
3 dates
2 C water
1 Tbs. agave nectar
1 tsp. coconut oil
Sea salt to taste

Put all ingredients in blender and process until smooth.  Keeps in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.  May settle, just re-blend.

FAST FUELS

These gels you can make and keep in flasks for easy dispensing while on the run.

If you are in need of an extra kick (ala caffeine) then you can add 1 tsp of ground yerba mate (think yerba mate tea)

Lemon-lime gel
Makes about 3/4 cup, enough for ~2 4 oz. flasks

4 dates
1/2 C agave nectar
1 Tbs lime zest
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp dulse
Sea salt to taste

Blend all ingredients until gel-like.   You can replace the lime for other citrus flavors like orange, etc.

Gel will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator, best when consummed fresh.

Carob Gel
Makes about 3/4 cup, enough for ~2 4 oz. flasks

4 dates
1/2 C agave nectar
2 Tbs lemon juice
2 tsp roasted carob poweder (can use coco powder I would assume, or cacao nibs for 100% raw option)
2 tsp lemon zest
Sea salt to taste

Blend all ingredients until gel-like.   Gel will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator, best when consummed fresh.

Coconut Carob Gel with Protein
Makes about 3/4 cup, enough for ~2 4 oz. flasks

2 dates
1/4 C agave nectar
1 Tbs roasted carob poweder (can use coco powder which would make this non-vegan, or cacao nibs for 100% raw option)
1 Tbs hemp protein
1 Tbs coconut oil
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
Sea salt to taste

Blend all ingredients until gel-like.   Gel will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator, best when consummed fresh.

DIRECT FUEL BITES
Makes 8 1/2 ounce bite-sized bars.
Again, add up to 2 tsp of ground yerba mate for kick

5 dates
1 Tbs coconut oil
2 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp lemon juice
Sea salt to taste

Combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.  Form mixture into a 1/4" thick rectangle.  Cut into bite-sized pieces.  Individually wrap the pieces in plastic wrap and store in refrigerator or freezer.

Will keep frozen for 3 months, in refrigerator for 2 weeks.

You can add 1 tsp of carob powder (coco powder for non-vegan) (or cacao nibs)

ENERGY PUDDING (pre-exercise)
makes 2 servings

2 bananas
1/2 C dates
1/4 ground flaxseed (important that you grind it as raw flaxseeds will pass right through you with no  nutritional value)
1/4 C carob or cocoa powder (or cacao nibs for raw option)
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp sea salt

In a food processor, blend all ingredients until smooth.

Will keep for up to 3 days in refrigerator, best when eaten fresh.

For a variation, you can add 2 tsp ground yerba mate for a high-performance version.

RECOVERY PUDDING (post-exercise)
makes 2 servings

2 bananas
1 C blueberries
1/2 C soaked almonds
1/4 ground flaxseed (important that you grind it as raw flaxseeds will pass right through you with no  nutritional value)
1/4 C hemp protein
1/4 C carob or cocoa powder (or cacao nibs for raw option)
2 tsp ground roobios
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp sea salt

In a food processor, blend all ingredients until smooth.

Will keep for up to 3 days in refrigerator, best when eaten fresh.

RECOVERY DRINK (post-exercise)
makes about 3 cups

Juice of 1/2 lemon
Juice of 1/4 lime
4 dates
2 C water
2 Tbs agave nectar
1 Tbs hemp protein
1 tsp ground dulse flakes
1 tsp hemp opil of an EFA oil blend
1/2 tsp lemon zest

In a blender, combine and process until smooth.  Will keep for 3 days refrigerated - reblend if settling occurs.

GINGER PAPYA RECOVERY DRINK
Makes ~ 3 cups

2 dates
2 C water
1/2 C ripe papya chunks
2 Tbs agave necter
1 Tbs hemp protein
1/2 Tbs grated fresh ginger
1 tsp ground dulse flakes
1 tsp hemp opil of an EFA oil blend
1/2 tsp lemon zest

In a blender, combine and process until smooth.  Will keep for 3 days refrigerated - reblend if settling occurs.

Don't give the power to the race.  Give the power to you and your ability to run the race.

Half Fanatic #452, IRONMAN as of 11/3/12!

Re: Tired of gu's and gels? Recipes for homemade energy bars, gels, and drinks

I'd like to add my own homemade GU alternative.
Afer reading Born to Run I decided to give the Chia Seed drink Iskiate a try. It is very easy to make, can be put in your hand held bottle and really does give you a lasting energy boost. I found in my last few long runs that while it is not a substitute for GU and the instant energy it gives, it does do a great job keeping me feeling good without the usual upset stomach. Chia seeds may be bought at Whole Foods and at Costco for about $6 (the bag is a large bag that should last quite a while). If you'd like to try it out, I'd be happy to give you some seeds to try without getting a full bag.
Here's my recipe:

Mason jar with lid
1/3 cup Chia Seeds
2 cups water (warm forms the gel faster)
mix together and let sit for at least 15 minutes. The seeds will soften and a gel will form. You may refrigerate this for up to 2 weeks.

To the gel add any combination of juice and sweetener. I like to use lemon juice, cherry juice and sugar. You can use honey, agave or any other sweetener or juice. Really whatever flavor you like works great. Chia seed gel has no flavor. You can mix it into many things or just drink!
Give it a try!

Re: Tired of gu's and gels? Recipes for homemade energy bars, gels, and drinks

jogo
What is dulse and where do you get it?
Half Fanatic #703
Marathon Maniac #4451

Re: Tired of gu's and gels? Recipes for homemade energy bars, gels, and drinks

Jenniferlyn
dulse is a sea vegetable and you can find this at whole foods or any natural food store, or any asian market.
Don't give the power to the race.  Give the power to you and your ability to run the race.

Half Fanatic #452, IRONMAN as of 11/3/12!

Re: Tired of gu's and gels? Recipes for homemade energy bars, gels, and drinks

Amanda Andrews
Sue Hentschel, a friend of mine and great cook, makes these date squares that are so amazingly good and they're good for you.  I like to have them in place of clif bars, larabars, whatever-bars before/after racing, they'd be too soft to take with you on a run...Anyway, here's her recipe:

MAMMA SUE’S DATE SQUARES:
preheat oven to 350*
grease & flour an 8.5X11X2 square baking pan

1/2 C water
8 oz. package of SUNMAID brand chopped & pitted dates
1/4 C granulated white sugar (OR SPLENDA)

In a medium saucepan pour 1/2 cup water, 1/4 C. white sugar (~or~ 1/4 C. SPLENDA for a lower calorie option) and the dates. Bring to a low boil, stirring continuously, and then let simmer on very low heat while preparing the rest of the recipe.

Combine in large mixing bowl:
3 C. quick cooking oats
1/2 C. milled flax seed
¼ C chia seeds
3/4 C .chopped walnuts
3 C. flour (you can use all purpose flour, but I use and prefer a healthier option of "king arthur" brand whole grain unbleached flour.)
2 egg whites
1/4 C skim milk
1 1/2 C packed dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt ( I use kosher salt)
1/4 C sunflower oil
1/4 C flax seed oil

Use 1/2 of this coarse/semi dry mixture into the prepared baking pan, and pat firmly. Add the warmed date mixture and spread over evenly, then add the rest of the coarse/semi dry mixture over the dates, and pat firmly. Bake in oven for 22-26 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely and cut into even squares.  Store in covered container.
Half Fanatic #1297