Unwritten Runner Rules

Tnova
Administrator
This post was updated on .
This is really a repost of something started by John, added to, and includes other items I had sitting in my inbox that I never added.  Just repackaging everything in one post.  Some are general running rules, some are club rules/traditions, some are serious, some are a bit lighthearted.

1.  Do not wear the race day shirt during the race!  Once you have run the race, then wear it whenever.
2.  Do not "jog in place" while waiting to cross the street.  There is no need to do this and it just looks like you're a newbie.
3.  Announce yourself when you are passing if space is limited.
4.  If you need to stop to walk or drink during a race, be sure you are off to the side and be aware of anyone behind you.
5.  During group runs, do not leave anyone behind.
6.  Group tradition is to wait for the last runner to finish.
7.  During races, cheer for all racers, not just club members.
8.  Thank the volunteers during and after a race.
9.  For long runs, you may want to have an emergency stash of TP in your belt or pocket.
10a. Two or more guys that are wearing matching club jackets should not be seated together or walking together unless they are in the company of at least one female.  And this rule is especially true when walking into a bathroom.  (Courtesy of Mike and Joe's 2010 Goofy adventures.)
10b. When only two members of the opposite sex are together one person should refrain from wearing the team jacket or you may end up looking like that old couple from Florida that wear matching golf outfits!  (Courtesy of Sue and Mike while in Little Rock.)  Best to travel in groups of three or more to avoid this issue.

According to Jeff Stuart, most of these rules and others are included in a book called, "The Runner's Rule Book:  Everything A Runner Needs To Know - And Then Some" by Mark Remy.