"One Night in Little Rock" - a song about one night in Little Rock

"One Night in Little Rock" - a song about one night in Little Rock

Mike Fitzgerald
Administrator
"One Night in Little Rock" by Mike Fitzgerald
parody of "One Night in Bangkok"

Little Rock, Arkansas setting,
And the cabbies don’t see dirty looks they’re getting.
The Peabody van’s our express route to the
expo with the Bee Gees and John Travolta.
“Let’s shop – we’ll only be a minute.”
Oh no!  There’s a booth with new skirts in it.
Bus ride:  Crowne Plaza venue.
We’re all hungry so let’s find a menu.
It's Waffle House -- or PF Chang’s -- or West End-- or --
or Famous Dave’s!

One night in Little Rock, are the pillows flying?
Let’s have some fun:  we’ll send ole Joe a text.
He calls our bluff because he knows we’re lying.
So why would he believe what we send next?
Tomorrow, he may seem to be a bit perplexed.

That girl does not look sober
crouched down by her car, just about to fall over.
Is she checking her tires?  Has she lost her keys?
Now she’s crawled inside, hope she catches some Z’s.
Did you see?  One of us is named for North Little Rock town.
Tomorrow we meet:
the “50-staters” in the club floor guest suite.
At home, there may be a tempest:
Leah’s kid thinks she’s here with their dentist
and he doesn’t want to be notified, of Body Glide.

One night in Little Rock, V meets with her cousin.
The hotel bar is all that’s in her plan.
“Want to go pubbing?”  Well it seems she doesn’t.
She wants to get all of the rest that she can.
She confides that she really misses her man.

Veronica seems so pleasant.
We couldn’t know there was “evil” present.
The kind that would chase a guy
out of first class, while getting ready to fly.
And thank God I found a cigar shop – let’s visit it.
Argenta’s dad is mellow,
and his friend Wes is a wild fellow;
and just you watch, Argenta and Sue
will be just like them in 2042.
Then we headed on out to the bars, Sue and I, in matching jackets.

One night in Little Rock, the River Market’s crowded.
The bars are closing, we need a taxi.
Five in a cab?  Down here I highly doubt it.
But Jimmy John’s as cool as he can be.
We share a ride with C-A-S-S-I-E.

One night in Little Rock, off to Midtown pool hall.
Our new friends really have the gift of gab .
One night in Little Rock, let’s conclude this pub crawl.
Next we find that our new ride is a “Cash Cab.”
But we fail the test and have to pay the tab.

Original Song

One Night in Bangkok
by Murray Head

[THE AMERICAN:]
Bangkok, Oriental setting
And the city don't know that the city is getting
The creme de la creme of the chess world in a
Show with everything but Yul Brynner
Time flies -- doesn't seem a minute
Since the Tirolean spa had the chess boys in it
All change -- don't you know that when you
Play at this level there's no ordinary venue
It's Iceland -- or the Philippines -- or Hastings -- or --
or this place!

[COMPANY:]
One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster
The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free
You'll find a god in every golden cloister
And if you're lucky then the god's a she
I can feel an angel sliding up to me

[THE AMERICAN:]
One town's very like another
When your head's down over your pieces, brother
[COMPANY:]
It's a drag, it's a bore, it's really such a pity
To be looking at the board, not looking at the city
[THE AMERICAN:]
Whaddya mean? Ya seen one crowded, polluted, stinking town
[COMPANY:]
Tea, girls, warm, sweet
Some are set up in the Somerset Maugham suite
[THE AMERICAN:]
Get Thai'd! You're talking to a tourist
Whose every move's among the purest
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine

COMPANY:
One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble
Not much between despair and ecstasy
One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble
Can't be too careful with your company
I can feel the devil walking next to me

THE AMERICAN:
Siam's gonna be the witness
To the ultimate test of cerebral fitness
This grips me more than would a
Muddy old river or reclining Buddha
And thank God I'm only watching the game -- controlling it --
I don't see you guys rating
The kind of mate I'm contemplating
I'd let you watch, I would invite you
But the queens we use would not excite you
So you better go back to your bars, your temples, your massage
parlours --

[COMPANY:]
One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster
The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free
You'll find a god in every golden cloister
A little flesh, a little history