"Rhinestoned Elvi" - Vegas Prelude

Mike Fitzgerald
Administrator
"Rhinestoned Elvi" by Mike Fitzgerald
Parody of Rhinestone Cowboy by Glen Campbell

We've been runnin' this trail so long
Training for marathons
We know every inch of this dusty path along Paint Creek
Repetition’s the name of the game
And run after run, every mile can seem just the same
Now we’re suddenly realizin’
Vegas is on our horizon
Soon we’re gonna see that corral where we’re gonna be…

With the rhinestoned Elvi
Running out on the strip with big sideburns and pompadours
We’ll be rhinestoned Elvi
With guitars and jumpsuits that are all white from head to toe
And maybe a big cape for Joe

Well, we’ll run with our Presley props
And we’ll smile at each photo op
At each mile marker we’ll stop, we’re running the Goofy way
Will we wear blue suede running shoes
As young Elvis, fat Elvis, or Elvis from Kalamazoo?
There'll be no fun we’re compromisin'
And our drinks we’re super-sizin’
Once we’ve run that race, at the bar is where we will be..

With the rhinestoned Elvi
Going out on the town, celebrating at every pub
We’ll be rhinestoned Elvi
Wakin up next morning, to find out who has joined the club
Of people who can sleep in a tub

"Rhinestone Cowboy" – Glen Campbell

I've been walkin' these streets so long
Singin' the same old song
I know every crack in these dirty sidewalks of Broadway
Where hustle's the name of the game
And nice guys get washed away like the snow and the rain
There's been a load of compromisin'
On the road to my horizon
But I'm gonna be where the lights are shinin' on me

Like a rhinestone cowboy
Riding out on a horse in a star-spangled rodeo
Like a rhinestone cowboy
Getting cards and letters from people I don't even know
And offers comin' over the phone

Well, I really don't mind the rain
And a smile can hide all the pain
But you're down when you're ridin' the train that's takin' the long way
And I dream of the things I'll do
With a subway token and a dollar tucked inside my shoe
There'll be a load of compromisin'
On the road to my horizon
But I'm gonna be where the lights are shinin' on me

Like a rhinestone cowboy
Riding out on a horse in a star-spangled rodeo
Rhinestone cowboy
Gettin' cards and letters from people I don't even know
And offers comin' over the phone