"Your Pace or Mine" - YPOM Theme

Mike Fitzgerald
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Your Pace or Mine
by Mike Fitzgerald
(Parody of "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" by Billy Joel)

A bottle of ice, a packet of GU
Perhaps I’ll have a granola bar or two
I’ll be on the trail or on the street
Getting’ ready for that race
I hope that I can keep the pace

A packet of GU, a bottle of ice
That banana I had will suffice
I’m gonna train all summer long
To run that doggone marathon.

Things are crazy for me these days
Go right out to jog, when I leave the office
I gave up my life, and it seems my wife
Thinks I’ve lost my mind
I lost touch with reality
I can’t wait to run twenty
And I’ll tackle any hill that you can find

Do you remember those days hanging out at the ole’ duck pond?
Getting there early, stretching out on the park lawn
Get your iPods out and make sure you got your Nip-Guards on
I don't know if I’m
going to run your pace or mine

Argenta said “Ready?  It’s time to get sweaty!
Cause it’s half past six on the dot”
Garmins are synching as we walk down to our regular spot
Where’s Steph, can anyone find her?  She overslept, should have called to remind her
And Jen’s on vacation, I think that’s what her email said
Oh, but here comes Sunil, so now we can all go ahead

John’s running steady, he’s fast like Andretti, and his banter keeps our spirits high
and Kris is all mended she’s joined us again by the end of July
Jim made it here from Snover
And Sarah this week seems a bit hungover
So Herm’s telling tales of her escapades from last night
And now she’s a real runner like Lisa(r) and Mike

We were running with Mark and his son in that cart
Watching turtles and squirrels and deer
This run’s no big deal, for somebody like Neil
Who’s run thousands of miles this year
We stopped for that stinkin traffic on Tienken
Cause they just won’t stop for us here

As we ran the next mile we all had to smile
Thinkin’ bout what awaits at the end
We’ll eat some samosas, and drink some mimosas
At John and Sue’s with all our friends
Then we’ll talk of next week, meetin’ back at Paint Creek
Where we’ll do this all over again

Then someone said, “He’s as thin as spaghetti!”
As sandwich man came into view
And wouldn’t you know, we’re all trying to keep Joe
From trippin’ the dude
We finished with congratulations
Push ups were done by the police station
Another week over, the time really does seem to fly
Our training soon ended, the marathon started
We all ran that race, had a Cobo roof party
And soon we were wishing each other a hearty goodbye

A packet of GU, a bottle of ice
I did it once but will I do it twice?
Will I say “That’s it, I’m done”
Or run another marathon?

Original Version

Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
by Billy Joel

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rose instead
We'll get a table near the street
In our old familiar place
You and I, face to face oooh

A bottle of red, a bottle of white
It all depends on your appetite
I'll meet you any time you want
In our Italian Restaurant.

Things are okay with me these days
Got a good job, got a good office
Got a new wife, got a new life
And the family is fine
Oh, we lost touch long ago
You lost weight, I did not know
You could ever look so nice after so much time!

Do you remember those days hanging out at the village green?
Engineer boots, leather jackets,and tight blue jeans
Oh, you'd drop a dime in the box play a song
About New Orleans
Cold beer, hot lights
My sweet romantic teenage nights

Brenda and Eddie were the popular steadies
And the king and the queen at the prom
Riding around with the car top down
And the radio on
Nobody looked any finer or was more of a hit at the Parkway Diner
We never knew we could want more than that out of life
Surely Brenda and Eddie would always know how to survive

Brenda and Eddie were still going steady in the summer of '75
When they decided the marriage would be at the end of July
Everyone said they were crazy
Brenda you know you're much too lazy
And Eddie could never afford to live that kind of life
But there we were waving Brenda and Eddie goodbye.

They got an apartment with deep pile carpet
And a couple of paintings from Sears
A big waterbed that they bought with the bread
They had saved for a couple of years
But they started to fight when the money got tight
And they just didn't count on the tears

Well they lived for a while in a very nice style
But it's always the same in the end
They got a divorce as a matter of course
And they parted the closest of friends
Then the king and the queen went back to the green
But you can never go back there again.

Brenda and Eddie had had it already
By the summer of '75
From the high to the low to the end of the show
For the rest of their lives
They couldn't go back to the greasers
The best they could do was pick up the pieces
But we always knew they would both find a way to get by
Oh, that's all I heard about Brenda and Eddie
Can't tell you more cause I told you already
And here we are waving Brenda and Eddie goodbye.

A bottle of red, and bottle of white
Whatever kind of mood you're in tonight